Monday, January 30, 2023

"Cold" in Small Children

 

Written in November 2015: A classic case of NMG confirmed in our family - the "cold" in small children: From May until 2 weeks ago, we lived together with the youngest (he turned 2 in September) in the countryside, in a real village, on the banks of the Prut river, on a street where a maximum of 2 cars passed daily. I came to the city about 3 times, I stayed for a few hours, more in the house or I went to a quick shopping tour and returned to the country. The child spent the whole summer outdoors doing a lot of exercise, in a clean and quiet environment.


2 weeks ago, out of necessity because we don't have adequate heating at the house in the country, we returned to the city. The little one was exposed (I know we are unconscious parents, but we had nowhere to go) rushing through about 4 large stores and about 30 minutes of heavy traffic on a street near the station, in addition to actually being moved to a 'new' house. Lots of changes and distractions, noises, cars and people.


A week ago, so a week after the move (Monday night), the youngest woke me up - he had a fever. I don't know how high, he didn't accept the thermometer and it's better that he didn't because I didn't know and I didn't panic. I stripped him of his blouse, left him only in the diaper and in half an hour he was OK. His fever had passed. On Tuesday evening, in addition to the fever for about 3 hours, he also had a stuffy nose (clear signs of reaction to the new environment and to the fact that he "sniffed" for a week the possible dangers around him). Wednesday fever and stuffy nose, little and interrupted sleep for everyone, Thursday and Friday only stuffy nose. On Saturday, he started to breathe much better, but he started to cough slightly, in the morning, not long, a few minutes after waking up (I took it as a possible throat problem, a sign that in addition to adapting to the new environment, he also suffered a slight fright , I think from the very intense traffic - I walked with the carier on a very heavily trafficked street). Sunday the same. Monday, that is today, a week after the beginning of the "disease" or the healing process as you want to take it, he only has slight traces of mucus and that's it, no fever, no cough.


During all this time I undressed him when he had a fever and I gave him a lot of liquids, tea with honey and lemon, water or what else he asked for (he is still breastfed and asked for a lot of milk, especially at night, probably of thirst). I kept the temperature in the house at 21 degrees, no more. I let a lot of fresh air inside, including at night.


If I hadn't known NMG, I would have probably forced him to sit and take his temperature, I would have forced him to sit to remove the mucus with the baby's handkerchief or other crazy gadget that creates trauma for children, I would have given him paracetamol or I don't know what else. Instead all was calm, peaceful and he cured himself.


Thank you, Dr. Hamer!

No comments:

Post a Comment